- Readings to reinforce the concepts presented in the classroom.
- Numerous hands-on activities to enhance the lessons.
- Colorful photographs.
- Updated illustrations, graphs, and diagrams.
- A glossary of scientific terms (with pronunciation guides for more difficult words).
- Questions to promote both recall and synthesis of ideas and concepts.
- Sidebars with interesting information to enrich lessons.
- Text layouts have been updated to include colored tabs to easily differentiate units. Unit and chapter page numbers appear in the table of contents for quick reference.